Whole Food Plant Meal Plan: Kahn Center for Cardiac Longevity
- Drink 3-4 liters of filtered water daily before, during, between meals.
- 1-2 cups organic black coffee in the AM is an option, paper-filtered grounds
- You can drink 1-3 cups of herbal teas
Herbal tea options are burdock, chamomile, Ceylon cinnamon powder, dandelion, fennel, hibiscus, lemongrass, milk thistle, nettle, rooibos, rosehips, and other herbal teas not containing any sugar. It’s best to choose certified organic, this minimizes your exposure to thousands of pesticides.
- It’s best to eat certified organic food when possible. Know the Dirty Dozen www.EWG.org
- Eat 3 meals a day if you like with no food in-between meals, only water. No snacking. Stop by 7PM
Breakfast suggestion #1
- 40-50 grams dry weight Steel cut oats
- 175-250mL unsweetened oat milk
- 2 tablespoons ground brown flaxseed or hemp hearts, a few walnut pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons whole black or white chia seeds
- ½- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 40-50 grams raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Sprinkle Ceylon cinnamon powder
Breakfast suggestion #2
- 2 slices 100% rye, Dave's Killer, or Ezekiel bread
- 2-4 tablespoons almond or sunflower seed butter
- 1 apple
Lunch and Dinner
- Pick one protein from the list below
- Pick one starch (optional)
- Pick a variety of vegetables
- Pick one fruit
- Salads: 1 a day, with lunch or dinner
- Salad dressing: fresh squeezed lemon or lime or 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil, Redmond’s pink salt, herbs, spices
- Oils: limit oils for cooking food to 1 tablespoon daily (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
“Proten” list: (Protein is a macronutrient, Food is Food, Chickpeas are Chickepeas)
Beans: 200-250 grams cooked/canned (3-4x a week)
black, chickpeas, edamame, kidney, mung, white
Lentils:100-200 grams dry weight (1-2x a week)
Black, brown, green, red, yellow
Tempeh: 125-250 grams (1-2x a week)
Tofu: 125-250 grams (1-2x a week)
Soft, firm, smoked
Mushrooms: 150-300 grams (1-2x a week)
Oyster, portobello, shiitake
Potatoes: 100-200 grams white or yellow potato
Wild blend rice: ½ -1 cup dry/1-2 cups cooked
Vegetables: 200-300 grams
- Artichoke (fresh, canned, glass bottled in water & salt), asparagus (green, white), Avocado, bamboo shoots, beans (green, string, yellow), beets, beet greens, bell pepper (green, orange, red, yellow), bok choy, bottle gourd, broccoli, broccolini, brussels sprouts, cabbage (napa, pointed, red, savoy) carrots, cauliflower, cauliflower leaves, celeriac, celery, chicory, cilantro, collard greens, cornichons/gherkins, cress (watercress), edible boletus, eggplant, fennel, garden radish, kale (black, curly), kohlrabi, leek, morrels (fresh or dried), mushrooms (button, cremini, white), okra, olives (black, green), parsley, parsnip, pickles (fresh, dill, additive/oil/preservative/sugar-free), pumpkin, purslane, sauerkraut, onions (green/scallions, shallots), rutabaga, sorrel, spinach, squash (butternut, spaghetti, yellow button), swiss chard, tomato (beefsteak, Brandywine, Cherokee, cherry, garden, green, heirloom, pear, plum, Roma, vine, yellow), turnips, wheatgrass, yams, zucchini
- Arugula, bibb, Boston, butter, cucumber, dandelion leaves, escarole, frisee, green leaf, oak leaf, radicchio, red leaf, romaine
- Alfalfa, amaranth, basil, bean, beet, broccoli, cilantro, cress, pea shoot, mustard, radish, red cabbage, red clover, soy bean, spring pea mix, sweet crunchy mix, sunflower, wheatgrass
- Start with 20 grams and you may gradually work up to 100 grams, 1-3x per week.
- Blanch sprouts in boiling hot water. Monitor for any reactions.
Fresh & dried herbs & spices
- You can use any fresh or dried herb or spice. As long as they’re additive-free, oil-free, preservative-free and sugar-free.
- Anise, basil, bay leaf, black pepper, cardamom, caraway, cayenne pepper, Ceylon cinnamon, chilli pepper, chives, cilantro, cloves, coriander, cumin, curry, dill, fenugreek, fennel, garlic, ginger, green pepper, horseradish, jalapeno, lemongrass, marjoram, nutmeg, oregano, paprika, peppermint, poppy seed, rosemary, saffron, sage, spearmint, sumac, tarragon, thyme, turmeric, vanilla, white pepper, wintergreen, zaatar
- Eat 1 type of fruit per meal. Fresh or frozen. No canned fruit.
- 1 apple a day is a must.
- Apple (1), apricot (1-2), black currants (150-250 grams), blackberry (150-250 grams), blueberry (150-250 grams), cantaloupe (150-200 grams), cherry (150-250 grams), dragon fruit (150-200 grams), gooseberry (150-200 grams), grapes (150-200 grams), green melon (150-200 grams), kiwi (100-200 grams), lemon (1), lime (1), lychees (150-200 grams), mango (150-250 grams), nectarine (1), orange (1), papaya (150-250 grams), pear (1), plum (1-2), peach (1), pear, persimmon (1), pineapple (150-200 grams), pomegranate (150-200 grams), raspberry (150-250 grams), strawberry (150-250 grams), tangerine (1), watermelon (150-250 grams)